Microsoft started rolling out Windows 10 version 2004 aka May 2020 Update earlier this week to Windows 10 users. The update installs fine for most users but if you are getting an installation failed error 0xc1900101 while installing the Windows 10 2004 update from the inbuilt Windows Update feature, you need to install the update manually using “Media Creation Tool 2004.”
Windows 10 feature update error
If your Windows 10 device is compatible to install the update 2004, navigate to Settings -> Update & security -> Windows Update and click Check for updates. After checking for new updates and if your device is compatible, you’ll be informed that the ‘Feature Update to Windows 10, version 2004’ update is available.
If you notice Windows update stuck downloading or fails to install:
- Make Sure that you have enough free disk space (at least 32GB) before installing the update
- Remove all external storage media, such as USB drives and SD cards.
- Temporarily disable or completely uninstall any 3rd party antivirus, And disconnect VPN if configured on your device.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings.
- Click on “Update & Security“.
- On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
- Then, on the right-hand side, click on the “Additional troubleshooters“ link.
- Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
- Forthwith, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process
Delete Windows Update cache
- Open command prompt as administrator, type net stop wuauserv and press enter key to stop the windows update service.
- Next Open File Explorer and navigate C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Now Delete all contents of the Download directory, to do this press Ctrl+A to select all the contents of the folder and then press “Delete” to empty the download folder.
- Open the command prompt again and type command net start wuauser press enter key to start the windows update service.
Now try to download windows 10 version 2004 using windows update.
Using Media creation tool
- Download the MediaCreationTool2004.exe file from the link and save it to your Windows 10 computer
- Right click on media creation tool and select run as administrator,
- Let it “Getting a few things ready” and then click the Accept button when the License terms are shown on screen.
- Select “Upgrade this PC now” and hit the Next button
- The Media Creation Tool will now download the Windows 10 2004 update. Depending on your internet connection, it may take some time.
- Once again you’ll be shown the license terms for installing the Windows Operating System, click the “Accept” button to go forward.
- Select “Keep personal files and apps” on the next screen and hit the “Next” button.
- Follow the rest of the on-screen instructions and install the Windows 10 May 2020 update on your PC.