Windows 10 Laptop stuck on black screen with cursor after login or before login screen? This is mostly because of incompatibility between your display driver and current windows version. Update or reinstall display, graphics driver with the latest version most probably fix windows 10 black screen problem for you. let’s see how to.
windows 10 black screen with cursor
- Use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard shortcut to open Task Manager.
- Click the More details button (if using the compact mode).
- Right-click the Windows Explorer service, and select the End task option (if available).
- Click the File menu.
- Select the Run new task option.
- Type the following command and click the OK button.
- Check if windows back normal screen.
If you’re on a laptop:
- Forcefully Shut down your laptop using the power button.
- Remove its battery.
- While the battery is out, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds.
- Put the battery back in and start your PC again.
Perform startup repair
As due to black screen issue your PC unable to start normally, Start windows from an installation media. if you don’t have check how to create windows 10 installation media from here.
- start your computer using a USB installation media.
- Quick Tip: If your device isn’t starting from the USB flash drive, you’ll need to change your system’s BIOS settings to make sure it can boot from USB. Usually, you can access the BIOS by powering up your device and pressing one of the functions, Delete, or ESC keys, but make sure to check your manufacturer’s support website for more specific details.
- Click the Next button.
- Click the Repair your computer link in the bottom-right corner.
- Click the Troubleshoot option.
- Click the Advanced options button.
- next select startup repair option and let windows to check and fix the problems prevent windows to start normally.
Boot into safe mode
If startup repair didn’t fix the problem, then boot into safe mode and try reinstalling the display, graphics driver following steps below.
- To boot int safe mode again access advanced options screen.
- Then click startup settings and click Restart.
- next press f4 to boot into safe mode and f5 to safe mode with networking.
- When windows start in safe mode follow next instructions to reinstall display driver.
Reinstall display Driver
- Press Windows + x and select device manager,
- Expand the Display Adapters branch.
- Right-click the video adapter and select the Uninstall device option.
click yes when ask for confirmation and select the Delete the driver software for this device option to remove the driver from your device.
- Click the OK button.
- Restart your computer.
Once your device restarts, Windows 10 should automatically reinstall the graphics driver, and hopefully, the black screen will disappear. Also you can visit device manufactror website to download and install the latest graphics driver software on your PC.
Disable fast startup
Disabling Fast Startup may resolve the black screen problem. Here’s how to do it:
- Start windows in safe mode
- Open control panel
- Search for and select power options,
- Click Choose what the power button does.
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Under “Shutdown settings”, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) then click Save changes.
Restart windows and check there is no more Windows 10 black screen at startup.
- Fix local print spooler service is not running windows 10
- How to fix DHCP is not enabled for WiFi windows 10
- how to fix error code 0xc000000e in windows 10 1809
- Fix MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION BSOD error On Windows 10
- How to factory reset Windows 10 Without affecting files
- Windows 10 Stuck on Welcome Screen After login? Here how to fix