Windows 10 stuck on black screen with cursor after login or before login screen? This is mostly because of incompatibility between your display driver and current windows version. Update or reinstall display, graphics driver with the latest version most probably fix windows 10 black screen problem.
But before this perform steps below to get the normal screen first.
- Use the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keyboard shortcut to open Task Manager.
- Click the More details button (if using the compact mode).
- Right-click the Windows Explorer service, and select the End task option (if available).
- Click the File menu.
- Select the Run new task option.
- Type explorer.exe and click the OK button
- Check if windows back normal screen.
If you’re on a laptop:
- Forcefully Shut down your laptop using the power button.
- Remove its battery.
- While the battery is out, press and hold the power button for 60 seconds.
- Put the battery back in and start your PC again.
Fix black screen problems on Windows 10
- start your computer using a USB installation media.
- Quick Tip: If your device isn’t starting from the USB flash drive, you’ll need to change your system’s BIOS settings to make sure it can boot from USB. Usually, you can access the BIOS by powering up your device and pressing one of the functions, Delete, or ESC keys, but make sure to check your manufacturer’s support website for more specific details.
- Skip the first screen and Click the Repair your computer link in the bottom-right corner.
- Click the Troubleshoot option then Advanced options button.
- Next, select Automatic repair option and let windows to check and fix the problems prevent windows to start normally.
Boot into safe mode
If startup repair didn’t fix the problem, then boot into safe mode and try reinstalling the display, graphics driver following steps below.
- To boot int safe mode again access advanced options screen.
- Then click startup settings and click Restart.
- next press f4 to boot into safe mode and f5 to safe mode with networking.
- When windows start in safe mode follow next instructions to reinstall display driver.
Reinstall display Driver
- Press Windows + x and select device manager,
- Expand the Display Adapters branch.
- Right-click the video adapter and select the Uninstall device option.
click uninstall when ask for confirmation and select the Delete the driver software for this device option to remove the driver from your device.
- Click the OK button.
- Restart your computer.
Once your device restarts, Windows 10 should automatically reinstall the graphics driver, and hopefully, the black screen will disappear. Also you can visit device manufacturer website to download and install the latest graphics driver software on your PC.
Disable fast startup
Disabling Fast Startup may resolve the black screen problem. Here’s how to do it:
- Open control panel
- Search for and select power options,
- Click Choose what the power button does.
- Click Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Under “Shutdown settings”, uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended) then click Save changes.
Restart windows and check there is no more Windows 10 black screen at startup.
- Solved: The local print spooler service is not running windows 10
- How to use Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Windows 10 Boot error your pc/device needs to be repaired 0xc000000f
- how to use bitlocker drive encryption on Windows 10
- 3 Solutions to fix machine check exception error windows 10