Is your Windows 10 computer performing slower than usual? Are you seeing different pop-ups that weren’t there before? These are symptoms of Virus malware infection on your PC. This article will guide you on how to scan your PC for malware in Windows 10.
Use Windows 10 Defender to scan for viruses
Windows Defender is a powerful scanning tool that finds and removes malware from your PC. Not only it’s free but also it comes to build in with latest Windows 10. Its very simple to use and to remove threats like adware, spyware, and viruses from your PC.
Perform Scan with Windows security
- Open Windows Settings using the keyboard shortcut Windows + I.
- Go to Update and Security then Windows Security.
- Here Under Protection Areas, select Virus & Threat Protection.
- A new window will pop up with a list of security options.
- Click Virus & Threat Protection.
- Now click Manage Settings under Virus & Threat Protection Settings.
- Go to Real-Time Protection and toggle it to the on position if it’s currently off.
- Now on wards Windows defender automatically detect and remove virus malware.
If you are looking for manually perform system scan with windows defender.
- Click Home on Windows security page
- Select Virus & threat protection then Scan options.
- Select full scan radio button and click scan now.
View the results of your scan
To view the defender scan results on Windows 10
- Open Settings using Windows + I keyboard shortcut
- Click on Update & Security then Windows Defender.
- Select the Open Windows Defender Security Center button.
- Select Virus & threat protection > Scan history.
Use Third-party Antivirus protection
If you feel like your current antivirus solution isn’t up to the challenge, maybe it’s time to consider installing one of the many malware scanners in the market today. Some of these solutions are free while others you’d have to pay for. There are one-time purchases while others are subscription-based. Some antivirus software work better than others. Make sure you install one that’s highly recommended and comes from a reputable company.
Check Browser settings
Malware can make changes to your browser settings. For example, malware can change your homepage
settings to launch sites that are meant to extract information or display ads whenever you open a browser. And You need to check your settings as soon as possible to prevent browsers from launching annoying sites.
Open Microsoft Edge settings, Under the Open Microsoft Edge With drop-down menu, select A Specific Page or Pages. Check the URLs in the list and remove the unfamiliar domains.
- Open Google Chrome and go to Customize > Settings.
- Scroll down and locate On Startup.
- Select Open a Specific Page or Set of Pages.
- Remove the unfamiliar domains from the list.
Reset your PC
There are many times when you PC infected with virus & malware heavily and the only way to format the PC. That cause you can perform reset your PC option to reinstall Windows 10 its default settings.
Note: its recommended to backup important data before performing steps below.
- Go to Settings using Windows + I keyboard shortcut
- Click Update & Security then Recovery.
- Under Reset, This PC select Get Started.
- You will be presented with two options.
- Keep My Files will reformat your computer without deleting your files.
- Remove Everything will do just that – remove all files.
- And follow on screen instructions to reset Windows 10.
After complete the process, your PC is set with the default setup.