Unable to download windows update, Windows 10 feature update fails to download with different errors or getting different errors while installing Windows 10 updates. The easiest but most effective way to fix Windows Update issues is to clear the Windows Update cache. If you’re unable to download or install a recent windows update on your Windows 10 computer, clear Windows update cache following steps below.
Clear Windows Update cache
To clear windows update cache first, we need to stop the windows update service to do this.
- Click on the Start button, type cmd, right click on Command Prompt in the search result and select Run as Administrator.
- Type command net stop wuauserv into the command prompt window and hit enter
- This command stops the windows update service.
Following steps clear windows update cache:
Open File Explorer using windows key + E and navigate C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
Now Delete all contents of the Download directory, to do this press Ctrl+A to select all the contents of the folder and then press “Delete” to empty the download folder.
Next open C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore and empty the DataStore directory as well.
Open the command prompt again and type command net start wuauser press enter key to start the windows update service.
That’s all we have successfully clear windows update cache that probably fixes different windows update problems on windows 10.
Run Windows Update troubleshooter
In addition, run the build in windows update troubleshooter (Applicable for Windows 10 users only) that help automatically identify the update issue on your computer and fix it.
- Press Windows key + I to open the Settings.
- Click on “Update & Security“.
- On the left-hand side, click on “Troubleshoot“.
- Then, on the right-hand side, click on the “Additional troubleshooters“ link.
- Now, on the right pane of the Settings window, scroll down and click on “Windows Update“.
- Forthwith, click on “Run the Troubleshooter” to start the troubleshooting process
- Follow on screen instruction to allow diagnose and fix problems prevent windows update to install.
- Once done restart your PC and try to install the latest Windows update again by going to Settings » Updates & Security. It should work without any issues this time around.
Pro Tips: Sometimes VPN software can interfere with the Windows Update process. If you use a VPN connection to connect to a work network, disconnect from the network and turn off the VPN software (if available), then try update again.