Windows 10 laptop displays a battery/power icon on the taskbar that displays the status of the remaining battery life. And when connected to a power source and charging, it displays a charging icon. Also click on the battery icon gives you more information and options to quickly optimize Windows 10 for battery life, view the estimated amount of time battery life remaining and the number of batteries on your PC via the battery flyout. Well sometimes users report the battery or the power icon may go missing from the taskbar.
In such sitution, you could check if the same is turned off/On by following steps below.
- Navigate to Settings using Windows + I keyboard shortcut,
- Click on Personalization then taskbar
- Click the Select which icons appear on the taskbar link.
Battery icon greyed out on windows 10
But the problem is, sometimes the power icon in the Settings is greyed out and cannot be turned on. The cause for a greyed out icon or option can be due to multiple reasons. Here we have different workaround to perform when battery icon greyed out or windows 10 power settings greyed out.
Remove and then install the battery
- Turn off your Windows 10 device,
- Unplug the laptop, and then remove the battery from its place.
- Now press and hold the power button for 30 sec.
- Connect the power cord to your laptop (without inserting the battery) and then turn it on.
- Turn it off again after a minute or two.
- The laptop will turn on even without the battery when plugged in.
- Now that you have turned off the laptop, remove the power cord, and then insert the battery.
- Finally, turn on the laptop. Check if the issue has been resolved.
Restart the AC adapter
- Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc and click on ok
- This will open Device Manager,
- Here expand the Batteries tree.
- Right-click on Microsoft AC Adapter option select disable,
- Click the Yes button when you get the confirmation dialog.
- Now right-click on Microsoft AC ACPI-Complaint Control Method Battery select disable,
- Again Click the Yes button when you get the confirmation dialog.
- Wait a few minutes and again right-click on these entries again and select the Enable device option.
Now You should now be able to turn on or off the battery icon via the Settings.
Note: If you didn’t found the Microsoft AC Adapter and Microsoft AC ACPI-Complaint Control Method Battery option then Action menu at the top of the Device Manager window and select Scan for hardware changes.
Check if system file corruption causing the issue
If Windows system files are corrupt, they can cause multiple problems to occur in Windows, including display issues or interactability of the battery power icon and icon display option. If you know roughly when the icon or display option became grayed out. Run the system file checker utility that probably helps restore missing system files with correct one. Also, you can try to restore Windows back to a previous date before the issue occurred.